All you need to know about Artificial intelligence – Obvious Information
Artificial intelligence, or AI for short, has become a very important part of many aspects of life. From personalized recommendations to users about music and electronic content, to smart cameras and autonomous cars. But… what exactly does artificial intelligence mean? What is the mechanism of its work and its fields and types?
It is a complex field and there is no doubt that many questions revolve in your head around it, but do not worry, the answers are here, and in today’s article we will talk about everything related to artificial intelligence, its importance and its fields.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial intelligence, or AI for short, is an umbrella term for many of the technologies that allow machines to simulate human intelligence.
When people think they feel and feel what is happening around them, they realize what these circumstances around them mean and make a decision based on it and then act on it.
The same applies to smart devices or equipped with artificial intelligence techniques, as it is true that they are in the early stages of applying these same human behaviors.
What is the difference between artificial intelligence and machine learning?
Simply put, machine learning is a sub-part of the artificial intelligence system, and expresses the ability of a machine to think without being externally programmed. How is that?
Well, traditional machines are usually programmed with a number of rules about how to act or act within a specific context, through a set of if-then-else instructions. But machine learning technology allows devices to continue to think and evolve based on the data they receive in different circumstances and contexts.
The history of artificial intelligence
Artificial intelligence has gone through many stages from its beginnings to the present day, so it is important to have a general idea of the stages of development of artificial intelligence over the years. The following is a summary of the most important of these events:
- The word “robot” was first mentioned in 1921, when Czech writer Karl تشاapek used it in his play “Rosum’s World Robots”. The word is derived from “robota” which means work.
- One of the most important influences on the development of artificial intelligence was Alan Turing, who published an article in 1951 entitled “Computing Machinery and Intelligence” in which he proposed a simulation game that later became known as the Turing Test.
- The birth of AI as a real science came in 1956 during a summer workshop called the Dartmouth Research Project on Artificial Intelligence, in which John McCarthy, inventor of the LISP programming language, first used the term “Artificial Intelligence”. The main objective of this workshop was to search for ways to enable machines to simulate aspects of human intelligence.
- During the 1960s and 1970s, researchers in the field of artificial intelligence began using computers to recognize images, translate languages and understand instructions and instructions in human language. Artificial intelligence sub-fields are emerging in various aspects of life.
- The big achievement was in 2016, when Google developed an artificial intelligence software called AlphaGo, which managed to defeat the world champion in the complex board game Go. This was a really big step in machine learning because AlphaGo learned the rules of the game and was able to play at an expert level on its own without any previous programming.
- The fields of artificial intelligence and its applications continued to develop in the subsequent years as well, and its applications branched out in practical life, as we saw the intelligent robot “Sofia” capable of building almost real relationships with humans, and artificial intelligence techniques were used in mobile phones through assistance applications such as Google Assistant or Siri and many more. Another aspect that we will discuss later in the article.
- Today we cannot say that there is a real existence of what is known as Super Artificial Intelligence or Super AI in English. But there is no doubt that this science is in continuous development, and will witness further development and progress in the future.
types of artificial intelligence
Artificial intelligence today is divided into four basic types, which are very similar to Maslow’s hierarchy of basic needs, as the simplest types of artificial intelligence can only perform basic functions, while the more advanced types are a fully conscious entity of itself and what is going on around it, similar to To a large extent human consciousness.
These four types are as follows:
- Reactive Machines.
- Limited Memory.
- Theory of Mind.
- Self Awareness
Today we have passed the stage of the first type of intelligence, and we are on the verge of mastering and professionalizing the second type, but the third and fourth types of artificial intelligence exist only as a theory, and they will most likely represent the next stage of the development of artificial intelligence.
Let’s take a closer look at these four types and what they mean:
1- Reactive Machines
Interactive machines perform only basic tasks, and this type of AI is the simplest of all. Machines that use this type respond to some inputs with some outputs and their working mechanism does not involve any self-learning process.
We can say that it is the first stage of artificial intelligence, and examples of it are simple devices that recognize the face, for example. Or DeepBlue, a computer that beats the world chess champion.
2- Limited Memory
In this type, AI has the ability to store data, or past predictions, and use it to make better predictions in the future. With limited memory, engineering and building machine learning techniques becomes more complex.
Examples of machines that use this type of artificial intelligence are self-driving cars, which store various data about the condition of the roads, other cars on the road and other factors, and based on this data make decisions about the route to take or the specific reaction to take.
It is worth saying that most of today’s devices based on artificial intelligence use limited memory, including personal assistance applications such as Google Assistance, voice and image recognition programs, chatbots, and others.
3- Theory of Mind
While there are a lot of machines that use previous types of artificial intelligence, this type is still only a theoretical idea, or a project that is still being developed.
We can say that Theory of Mind is the next stage of artificial intelligence systems that scientists are currently working on creating and developing. In this type, the machine (thanks to artificial intelligence technology) will be able to understand the entities it interacts with, know their needs, feelings, principles, and even their thought process.
In order to understand the difference between this type and its predecessor, let’s imagine that you are driving to an important meeting, but the traffic is so suffocating that you lose your nerve.
You might yell and ask Google Maps to search for a shortcut, but this app won’t give you any moral support, like, “This is the quickest way we can go. Do you want me to call someone to apologize or postpone the meeting for a while?”
Google Maps will continue to show the same results based on the road reports and data it has.
But using theory of mind technology, this app will be a better companion for you, it will understand your feelings, thoughts and help you feel better, which is now being developed and worked on within the field of Artificial Emotional Intelligence.
4- Self Awareness
Finally, in an unknown distant future, humans may finally be able to develop self-aware artificial intelligence. It is the same entity that we see in science fiction films. This kind of AI may raise a lot of hopes, but it also raises a lot of fears. The idea of a self-aware robot with its own intelligence and independence is troubling, because it means that humans then have to negotiate with the machine they made with their own hands, and the result of these negotiations gives way to many assumptions, expectations and fantasies.
Artificial intelligence and its uses
The applications of artificial intelligence and its fields are expanding to include many aspects of our lives, and there is no doubt that each of us has dealt with artificial intelligence techniques in one way or another during our daily life.
Here are some examples of the uses of this technology in our lives:
1- Artificial intelligence in marketing
Marketing is an effective way to beautify products in order to attract more customers. We humans are really good at beautifying and marketing our products, but what if there was an algorithm (computer program) or a machine that was made for the purpose of marketing only?! He will do a great job without a doubt.
Let’s think together, a few years ago finding a product on an e-commerce site without knowing its exact name was a real nightmare, and an almost impossible task.
But today, as soon as we search for a specific product, e-commerce sites will show us all other similar merchandise, it is as if search engines are reading our thoughts, and in just a few seconds you can find information and products that would have taken days and weeks in the past to find.
One of the important practical applications of using artificial intelligence in marketing is what we see on the famous Netflix website.
Do you know why so many people love this site? They find it very easy to find a suitable movie for them?
The reason is that Netflix uses high-accuracy predictive technology, which relies on the viewer’s behavior and reaction to the movies he watches or chooses and then suggests programs that match your previous choices.
2- Artificial intelligence in banking services
AI in banking is growing beyond expectations, with many banks already adopting AI-based systems to provide customer support, anomalies and credit card fraud. Like HDFC Bank in India.
HDFC Bank has developed an AI-based chatbot called EVA (Electronic Virtual Assistant), and since its launch, Eva has processed more than 3 million customer inquiries, interacted with over half a million and conducted over a million conversations. Eva can gather information from thousands of sources and provide simple answers in less than half a second!
AI technologies are also used to prevent fraud by tracking the use of bank cards and analyzing the behavior of bank transactions to identify fraud attempts, which is what major companies such as MasterCard do.
3- Artificial intelligence in health care
Many organizations and medical care centers rely on artificial intelligence to treat patients and save millions of lives. There are many examples of this:
- Cambio Health Care has developed a Clinical Stroke Prevention Support System that sends alert alerts when a patient is at risk of a heart attack.
- Coala Life has also developed a smart digital device that can detect heart disease.
- Aifloo is developing a system to track the performance of people in nursing homes and home care and help them go about their activities and routines.
- Perhaps the best thing about using AI technologies in healthcare is that there is no need to develop any new medicines, rather it is all about using existing medicines in a smart and correct way that saves lives.
4- Artificial intelligence in the field of space exploration
Space missions and explorations always require massive amounts of data to be analyzed. Artificial intelligence and machine learning are the best ways to handle and process data on this scale.
Astronomers were able to use artificial intelligence techniques to study and analyze the data collected by the Kepler telescope over the years, and thanks to this, they were able to identify and discover galactic systems, solar systems and planets thousands and millions of light years away from us.
The applications of artificial intelligence are also used in the probes and spacecraft that roam the planet Mars and discover its secrets.
And this is not all, as all recent discoveries in this field are the result of the use of modern artificial intelligence techniques.
5- Artificial intelligence in education
Although it is still early days to see humanoid robots taking over the role of the teacher and giving lectures and lessons, but there are undoubtedly many uses of artificial intelligence in the field of education that help students and teachers alike to achieve the greatest possible benefit from the learning process, and from I represented:
- Personalized Learning: Using artificial intelligence techniques to customize the educational experience of individuals by analyzing their learning patterns, past experiences and abilities, and then selecting the appropriate educational materials for them.
- Assisting teachers in performing some administrative tasks such as conducting assessments, preparing tests, or managing related logistical matters.
- Breaking geographical barriers by making global classrooms accessible to everyone regardless of their language, location or any other obstacles, as artificial intelligence techniques contribute to overcoming and overcoming these barriers.
The future of artificial intelligence and its functions
The spread of the concept of artificial intelligence and its fields and applications have expanded a lot in recent years. Which may lead us to ask: What is the future of artificial intelligence? And what are its functions?
To answer these two questions, you will need two more detailed and extensive articles from us, which you will find already on our website, where you can learn better about the concept of artificial intelligence as a university discipline, its most important axes, and its current and future prospects, through the detailed description of the AI specialization;t hrough the specialization guide.
Also feel free to share with us your opinion about the future of artificial intelligence from your point of view. Do you think it will really evolve into a self-aware conscious entity, or do you see another future for it?
Tell us your opinion in the comments, and do not forget to register on our site to receive all new.
Sweden is known for its high-quality medical education and healthcare system, making...
10 best universities to study in Belgium / Located in the heart...
Traveling to Japan is a dream that many Japanese language learners aspire...
Are you interested in migrating to Europe? If you are, then perhaps...