Universities without TOEFL or IELTS

Have you ever thought about studying abroad? If you did, then the  United States of America , Canada and Britain  would have been at the top of the list due to the excellent university options they offer. But you may face some difficulties related to the requirements of the English language . This is the case with many international students who are not native speakers of this language. They find the TOEFL  and IELTS tests a great challenge and an obstacle in the way of achieving their ambition, because they are not accustomed to this language, and because of the high costs of providing and preparing for these tests.

But what if you had the opportunity to enroll in one of the universities in Canada, America or even Britain without having to submit these two tests?!

Although it may seem impossible, it is nonetheless real and possible. Below is a list of the best universities that do not require English in these countries.

First: the United States of America

International students from non-English speaking countries do not need to obtain a TOEFL or IELTS certificate in a number of American universities, and even if these tests are among the conditions of application, some universities have the possibility to exempt the applicant from this requirement. There are also some majors and study programs that do not require these two certificates.

The following are a number of American universities that allow access to them without the need for TOEFL or IELTS:

1- State University of New York

When applying to study at SUNY, students may attach one of the following certificates with their application:

  • TOEFL iBT test certificate online.
  • IELTS Academic Certificate.
  • Pearson Academic Test Certificate .
  • Cambridge English Test Certificate at C1 or C2 level.
  • The International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP) is an international test that is approved in many countries of the world, and is also used by some companies and governments such as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

University applicants are exempted from certificates of proficiency in the English language if one of the following conditions is met:

  • If the applicant’s native language is English.
  • If the applicant has studied in schools/colleges/universities that adopt English as the only language of instruction (an option available in some Arab universities and schools) for at least 3 years when submitting the application.
  • If the applicant studied in schools, universities or colleges, and obtained his certificate in English (universities that offer some programs in English in addition to other languages).

2- University of Iowa

Students wishing to attend Iowa Research University in Iowa must provide evidence of their English language proficiency through a proficiency test such as TOEFL or IELTS. In this case, they will have the opportunity to obtain an unconditional admission to the university.

However, students who do not possess these degrees still have the opportunity to apply for conditional admission, in which they commit to enroll in and pass the Iowa Intensive English Program and pass its exams before moving on to study the desired major.

You can learn more about the English language requirements for international students, by visiting the official University of Iowa website .

3- University of Arkansas

As with the University of Iowa, students from non-English speaking countries are required to provide evidence of their proficiency in this language, such as TOEFL or IELTS certificates, to gain unconditional admission and begin studying their major immediately. While students who do not meet these requirements can be granted conditional admission to the university, they enroll in an intensive English language program at the Spring International Language Center (SILC), before beginning to study their chosen major when applying to the university.

You can find more details about the required English language requirements by visiting the official website of the University of Arkansas .

4- University of Dayton

In order to enroll at the University of Dayton, you must attach a certificate of your English language proficiency with your application. You can send any of the following certificates:

  • TOEFL iBT online certificate with a minimum score of 80.
  • IELTS certificate with a minimum score of 6.5.
  • iTEP International Test of English Proficiency with a minimum score of 4.5.
  • Pearson Test Certificate PTE score of at least 60.

If you are academically eligible to attend university but do not meet the English language requirements, you can get conditional admission, where you will take an English language placement test upon arrival in the United States. Accordingly, you will be enrolled in an intensive English language study program at the University of Dayton.

It is worth noting that attendance at the program is mandatory and you must continue it until you reach the appropriate level required before you can continue your studies in your chosen major.

For more information about the University of Dayton’s English language requirements, you can visit the official Dayton University website .

Second: Canada

Many Canadian universities do not require international students to have proof of language proficiency. Also, applicants who studied in institutions that offer their programs in English (schools, institutes or colleges) are exempted from attaching a language proficiency certificate in their applications.

All you need is above-average academic results, good SAT  or GRE scores and fulfillment of other registration requirements, Canadian universities know that graduates from internationally recognized institutes and universities undoubtedly have an adequate understanding of the English language.

Here are a number of popular Canadian universities that students can apply to without the need for a TOEFL or IELTS certificate:

1- Brock University

Brock University is a public research university located in Saint Catherine, Ontario. Like other universities that teach in English, this university requires applicants to provide proof of their proficiency in the English language, however, applicants who have completed their secondary school years at an English-taught institution (such as some international schools in the Arab world) can apply for an exemption of this aptitude test. In this case, they must attach their request to an official letter requesting this exemption.

Find out more details about Brock University’s English language requirements .

2- University of Saskatchewan

English is the language of instruction and examinations at the University of Saskatchewan, so students wishing to attend this university must possess an appropriate academic level of English. The applicant can prove his competence in one of the following ways:

  • Obtaining a high school diploma in English (from an international school whose programs are taught in English).
  • Completion of post-secondary studies (Bachelor’s) in English.
  • Obtaining a certificate of proficiency in the English language (TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson…etc).
  • Enrollment in an intensive English language program at the university before starting the study of the desired specialization.
  • Obtaining one of the international high school certificates such as: IB International Baccalaureate, AP Advanced Placement Test, and others.

If the student is not able to prove his proficiency in the English language by one of the above means, he can still apply for admission to the following faculties, provided that he is registered in the English for Academic Purposes program at the university:

  • College of Arts and Sciences.
  • College of Agriculture  and Bioresources.
  • College of Engineering .
  • Faculty of Education.
  • Edwards School of Business .
  • Faculty of Kinesiology (Body Kinesiology).

3- University of Winnipeg

The University of Winnipeg offers applicants many options that they can present to demonstrate their English proficiency. In addition to the TOEFL, IELTS or Pearson exams, students can enroll in one of the university’s intensive English programs full or part-time. As well as the following options:

  • 3 years of study at a high school, university or college whose programs are taught in English.
  • A minimum score of 4B on the IB Exam or a score of at least 3B on the AP Exam.

Find out more information about the University of Winnipeg’s English language requirements .

4- University of Regina

TOEFL and IELTS tests are not the only way to prove your English language proficiency and enroll in this university. You can do so through the following options:

  • Completion of post-secondary studies (bachelor’s) at a university or institution that teaches in English, where you can find out the names of universities whose graduates are exempted from English proficiency tests through this list.
  • Entry into the English as a Second Language (ESL) program at the University of Regina and completion of ESL level 050.
  • Submit an English language test other than TOEFL and IELTS.

You can learn more about the English language requirements and conditions by visiting the official website of the University of Regina .

Third: UK

If you decide to study in UK, you may realize that your level of English must be advanced, as most British universities require applicants to attach an IELTS certificate as evidence of their proficiency in the English language.

However, you can enroll in a number of universities in the UK if you can prove your English language skills by means other than this test, as there are three ways to do so:

  • Get high marks in English in high school. If you achieve results above 60% during the secondary grades: tenth, eleventh and twelfth, the university can accept your application without the need for an IELTS test.
  • Studying in a secondary or university educational institution that offers its programs in English, and obtaining high academic results from it.
  • Conduct an online interview with an evaluation committee from the university you are applying to via Skype, for example, to determine your English level.

Among the most important British universities that do not need an IELTS certificate to enroll in, we mention the following:

It is worth noting that the IELTS certificate is not only a requirement for admission to British universities, but also a condition of obtaining a Tier 4 visa for students, so if you are exempted from taking this test at the university, you must obtain an official letter proving your eligibility to obtain a visa.

You must have noticed from the above that American and Canadian universities do not specifically require the results of the TOEFL or IELTS test, but nevertheless they confirm and require that the applicant prove his proficiency in the English language, which is undoubtedly true given that teaching in these universities is in English, so how can you enroll in it and succeed In your studies, if you do not have an appropriate level of the language to ensure that you understand the subjects and communicate with teachers and colleagues?

Not only that, even if the TOEFL and IELTS tests are not mandatory for enrollment in these universities, you will often need them when applying for a travel visa. Therefore, we advise you to contact the Canadian or American embassy in your country to find out the terms and requirements for obtaining a student visa.

Don’t forget to register on our website to receive the latest scholarship opportunities abroad.

Read Also:

10 best universities to study in Belgium 10 best universities to study in Belgium for international students

10 best universities to study in Belgium for international students

10 best universities to study in Belgium / Located in the heart...

Basic Japanese words you need when traveling to Japan

Traveling to Japan is a dream that many Japanese language learners aspire...

Immigration to Spain | All you need to know

Are you interested in migrating to Europe? If you are, then perhaps...

How do I travel at the lowest costs?

Getting ready for a cultural exchange travel is a lot like getting...